Ten Ways to Help Children & Teens Learn from Mistakes
- Acknowledge that you don’t expect them to be perfect.
- Let them know your love is unconditional regardless of their mistakes or lapses in judgment.
- Don’t rescue kids from their mistakes. Instead, focus on the solutions.
- Provide examples of your own mistakes, the consequences, and how you learned from them.
- Encourage children to take responsibility for their mistakes and not blame others.
- Avoid pointing out your child’s past mistakes. Instead, focus on the one at hand.
- Praise children for their ability to admit their mistakes.
- Praise children for their effort and courage to overcome setbacks .
- Mentor your child on how to apologize when their mistakes have hurt others.
- Help kids look at the good side of getting things wrong!
Also in Mr Mizrahi's Blog